Knowing IRMA – True learning at its core
The Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA) is driven by the dream of serving under-served segments of the economy through professional management.
IRMA is driven by the dream of serving under-served segments of the economy through professional management. Founded in 1979, IRMA is focused on creating management professionals who can bring about sustainable, ecologically-friendly and equitable growth by applying their management acumen at the grassroots level and influencing the public policy narrative at the national and global levels.
Dr. Verghese Kurien, known as the ‘Father of the White Revolution in India’, founded IRMA at Anand, Gujarat with the support of the Swiss Agency for Development Cooperation (SDC), the Government of India, Government of Gujarat, the erstwhile Indian Dairy Corporation and the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB).
IRMA is a premier institution of professional learning offering Management programmes with a focus on understanding real management problems and socio-economic realities of under-served communities through intensive fieldwork. Experienced faculty members from reputed national and international institutions collaborate to inspire and create the thinkers of tomorrow for a better world. IRMA offers world-class infrastructure for learning at their 60-acre-green campus.
IRMA’s synergy with Government and Non-Government Institutions as well as International Development Organizations provides the students with an ideal ecosystem for learning, research as well as implementation experience of real on-the-ground projects.
To make continuous and significant contributions to the transformation of rural India through
- Leadership in cutting-edge knowledge creation,
- Innovations in education
- Pursuance of the ethical imperative of sustainability
- Policy oriented research.
To promote sustainable, ecologically-friendly, and equitable socio-economic development of rural people through professional management.
To achieve this mission IRMA has set for itself the following objectives:
- Creating a new breed of professional rural managers with the appropriate ethos and values;
- Helping rural organizations and institutions professionalize their management;
- Empowering rural people through self-sustaining processes;
- Creating new rural management knowledge and theories through action-oriented and problem-solving research and consultancy
- Influencing public policy.
In pursuit of its mission IRMA will:
- Develop human resources with management knowledge and competencies appropriate for governance and development of resources, enterprises, and institutions meant for rural communities;
- Be transformative in its approach with a focus on sustainability and equity;
- Recognize teaching as an emancipatory and unifying activity;
- Encourage and nurture excellence, creativity, integrity, and commitment;
- Encourage academic freedom and retain a willingness to experiment with new paradigms.
To pursue the highest standards of excellence and relevance in all our activities namely teaching, research, consulting, and mid-career/ continuing education and to remain transparent and accountable in our core functions through processes of self-evaluation, reflection, and continuous improvement.